It has been a while since I have had regular postings and updates on HC6, but rest assured, I am still here. The realities of holding down full time employment while renovating your home are challenging enough, but when you factor in a 50%+ increase in work load due to external circumstances, it shifts life to a less than balanced state and makes getting anything done on the apartment all the more challenging. A classic case of work-life out of balance or as I prefer, unbalance.
Some folks can work all day and then come home and work all evening on their home projects…. Not me. As an introvert, I have never been able to get much done on weeknights, even when work-life is much more balanced. After spending the day at the office interacting in meetings, conference calls, and such, along with weeknight activities, I am often wiped from all of the interactions. When I get home, I just need to decompress. Which usually involves spending the evening reading news and articles on the web as well as exploring new ideas for the apartment. The last thing I want to do is come home and start working on the apartment, making a mess, getting sweaty, and then having to scramble to clean up before bed. It is however, this need to decompress which drives my passion for making my home a place of respite from the world.
This leaves me with weekends. Beginning last January, I spent every single weekend for five months (with only one exception) focused on getting the kitchen done. By the end of June, we finally had a somewhat functional kitchen, and I took a couple of weeks off, and went on our annual week in Provincetown in July. That helped a bit, but once we were back home, my aspirations of getting things wrapped up by early October became just that, aspirations. I lost my willingness to devote every weekend to the renovation. Finally, I took a week in September and managed to get started on the other side of the room.
But beyond what I posted a full month ago, not much has happened. The recent increase in work and related stress has slowed me down and worn me out to the point that if I can even spend three or four hours working on the apartment over the weekend, I have to consider that progress. Some weekends have had zero progress because of other priorities. So, while I realize these are truly first world problems… It is nonetheless frustrating, and it is my reality. That said, this is also my blog and I will update as I see fit (and have time). Since I don’t really have a lot to reveal, I thought perhaps I should go over a few small wins that Y and I have accomplished this past few months.
In my last post, I wrote about our bathroom being a hot mess at the moment and us waiting for the ceiling to be repaired before we can do anything to it. Well, I am thrilled to say that, as of this past week, our bathroom ceiling has been repaired with new plaster and primed leaving me a clean palette to begin our makeover. I have also shifted my thinking on the colors just a bit (as the result of my evenings surfing the web for ideas). We are still working out the details, but I can tell you that the color green is being introduced into the mix.
Very little has happened in the kitchen in the past six weeks. I posted a shot of our base cabinet installed in the corner, and unfortunately other than putting the microwave into the base cabinet, not much else has happened other than I finished the doors this past week and got started on painting the upper cabinet pieces. I also did a big color switch-a-roo, but that’s for another post.
My last post, Beyond the Kitchen – Unfinished Rooms Part 1, focused on the bathroom. Part two focuses on the bedroom. I wrote out my outline for the second part of the series in late August, but haven’t gotten around to editing and posting it (because…. Work). I still plan to do it, and hope to do it soon, but suffice to say that in short; I have been formulating my plans for the bedroom for more than two years. My post will go into the details, but I thought it would be fun to reveal one of the elements early.